Remy and Virginia Morosani moved to Litchfield in the Spring of 1941 and began to assemble the pieces of property that became Laurel Ridge Farm. There was a pasture across the road from their house that was too rocky to make into a good hay field, but the land had a rugged beauty to it. They were inspired to plant daffodils on that portion of their property, and in the fall of 1941, they planted approximately 10,000 daffodil bulbs in the rocky valley bottom.
Each year daffodil bulbs multiply-usually they double. In a matter of years they become clustered, and the solution is to mark the clusters as the blooms fade, go back and dig the bulbs up in early July when all the leaves have withered, separate the extra bulbs and replant the new bulbs elsewhere in the fall.
It’s a simple concept, but it’s hard work. Fortunately the timing of the work-early July to dig them out and mid-October to replant them-coincided with less busy times on the farm-after the first and third hay cuts-and from the mid 1940’s till the late 1960’s the daffodils were periodically separated and replanted, expanding the original two acres to the full fifteen acres now evident.
As the daffodils expanded in size, people began to visit, and what had begun as a small planting became a local attraction every spring. In the mid-1960’s Remy and Virginia Morosani started the Laurel Ridge Foundation, a private foundation, to create a permanent entity to hold the daffodils. The Foundation is managed and supported by Remy and Virginia Morosani’s descendants.